1. Every team in the country has good Xs and Os. The difference is in performance, and good performance comes from lots of research, hours of planning, and proper use of time.
2. It is important for everyone to use the same terminology. Both the offense and defense should use the same names for plays, coverages, formations, forces, alignments, stunts, techniques, and personnel. To reduce confusion, the offensive and defensive coaches should use the same name in speaking to any combination of players.
3. Important Points to Remember:
• Football players win games by making plays. A player cannot consistently make good plays if he’s confused.
• Players must use techniques properly. Learning to do this is what practice is all about.
• Being loud does not make you a good coach.
• There is no substitute for knowledge.
• You cannot coach well without some enthusiasm.
• The best-coaches teams usually win.