Friday, December 5, 2008

GENERAL KEYS TO SCOUTING

I started out coaching by assisting my high school program while in college. They put me on the road scouting. I loved it! I think scouting is a great way to learn a lot of basketball by observing how other teams play. My love for scouting continued on the collegiate level. When I first got to LSU, working for Dale Brown, I rarely made a home game because I was constantly scouting -- watching some great coaches direct their teams. Sadly, in-person scouting has been banned for many years on the collegiate level though we certainly still work the video machines. Here are a few keys to in-person scouting that I learned over the years.

1. PREPARATION
Get a head start before you start your car. I would gather as much information on the team I was scouting as possible before leaving for the game. I would check out the newspaper clippings that we kept filed along with old scouting reports. Getting an idea of their system of play before leaving would allow me a head start when the game began.


2. KEY INFORMATION TO YOUR OWN PROGRAM'S PHILOSOPHY
At Winfield High School, Ron Chambers and Doug McElwain loved to press. Full court defense, both man and zone, were a big part of their game plan so it was important get notes on an opponent's press offense. At Poca High School, under the direction of Allen Osborne, we never zoned pressed so I didn't waste time writing it down instead concentrating on the areas of important to Allen's philosophy.


3. THE EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE INBOUNDS PLAYS
I always tried to get to the gym in time to watch the JV game. First of all, our JV coach always appreciated a scouting report as well. Second, the majority of JV teams run the same system of play as the varsity. I would jot down inbounds plays from the JV game and then all I had to do during the varsity game was write down the numbers of the players.


4. SEAT SELECTION
Seat selection is like shot selection -- the better your choice, the better the results. I generally like to sit high, by myself and opposite the bench. Sitting high allowed me to look down and get a good view of offensive sets and defensive schemes. Sitting by myself allowed me to concentrate and not get caught up in conversation. Sitting opposite the bench allowed me to view the opposing coach and look for any signals.


5. YOUR JOB ISN'T OVER WHEN THE GAME IS OVER
I always liked to stop some place to grab a quick bite on the way home and take my notes in with me and review them while they were still fresh on my mind. Sometimes the next day, I might have a hard time understanding some of my notes.


6. IF YOU CAN'T WRITE IT THAT QUICK, JUST SAY IT
Don Meyer's dictaphone is perfect for scouting. Individual notes can be said into the dictaphone during the game and therefore you dont' have to take your eyes of the game to write it down. It allows you to watch the game more closely as well as take good notes off the dictaphone later.
We'll visit later and talk about specifics of scouting and things we look for in developing a report and a game plan.