Saturday, May 21, 2011

COACH CREIGHTON BURNS ON "HOW LUCKY YOU CAN BE"

The following comes from Coach Creighton Burns Newsletter (one of my favorite resources as a coach):

I just finished reading the Buster Olney book, "How Lucky You Can Be," which as many of you know is the story of Coach Don Meyer. Needless to say, I was in tears while finishing the book. If you have never read the book, I would give it my highest recommendation. If you work with young people, or if you want to know how to deal with people, it is a MUST. It will be educational and very worth while. My daughter gave me the book as a Christmas present, and I read most of it while I was at her home this past Christmas, but came home, put it down, and had not picked it up again until today. You know how retired people are -- they jump from task to task and can't remember what they were doing 5 minutes ago. I am sure glad I left it out by my recliner. It is well worth the read.

I have met Coach Meyer, coached against him he was at Lipscomb and was on a clinic with him in Chicago, He, like Coach Wooden, is one of our treasures. Just think about how lucky all the guys were, who had the opportunity to play on one of his teams at Hamline, David Lipscomb, or Northern State. I will not get into the game we played against his team at Lipscomb, other that to say that we did not win. His kids were so well coached, very organized, executed very well and so disciplined! It is easy to see how he won over 900 games.