Friday, June 17, 2011

10 MOST POWERFUL PHRASES: #2 I'M SORRY

I recently picked up "Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People" by Rich DeVos who is the cofounder of Amway and the Chairman of the Orlando Magic. It's not a big book but it was a great read. There is no one this book would not benefit, especially coaches. This is a relationship-improvement book whether it's your professional life or your personal life. I will share some of these words and the thoughts but DeVos gives so many great stories that I strongly recommend you get the book.

#2: I'M SORRY

Along with saying "I'm wrong," we have to be sorry for it.

When we wrong someone, that person is going to respond to us and spill some anger.

"I'm wrong" and "I'm sorry" are companions.

The ability to say 'I'm sorry" shows that we are able to see the other person's point of view, that we want to maintain a relationship, and that we are not too big to reach out and see the good in others.  An apology is a conscious decision we reach when we have empathy for the feelings of others.

In the late 1980's, I was struck by something Walt Disney had written, and I used his words as the basis of one of my speeches.  Disney said there were three typs of people: "Well Poisoners," who criticise and try to tear people down rather than building them up; "Lawn Mowers," good people who do their jobs, pay their taxes, and take care of their familys and homes but never venture beyond their own yards to help others; and "Life Enhancers," who by their kind words and deeds enhance the lives of others and leave their world a better place for having lived.

The ability to aplogize requires seeing a situation from another person's point of view.  That means taking an interest in people -- even in those who may be nothing like us.