Thursday, October 29, 2015

COACH KILL'S RETIREMENT SHOULD GIVE ALL COACHES PERSPECTIVE

I took the time to watch University of Minnesota Jerry Kill's press conference where he announced he had to step down the the Gopher's head football coach due to health reasons.  It was obviously that he is very passionate about coaching and therefore leaving his profession that he clearly loves was extremely disappointing to him -- and to all of us that love our jobs and viewed the press conference.

Let it give us perspective.  Had a bad practice yesterday?  Have a player with an attitude problem yesterday?  Have a conflict with an administrator yesterday?  The media get after you a little bit yesterday?  A recruit turn you down yesterday?

The key word is "yesterday."  Because if you woke up "today" and you still get to coach -- if you still get to that thing you love so much, then we are truly blessed.

Here are a few take aways from Coach Kill's press conference.

"Last night when I walked off the practice field, I felt like a part of me died.  I love this game.  I love what it's done for my family.  I thank God for giving me the opportunity to coach this game...

"I don't want to cheat the game...

"This is the toughest thing I've ever done in my life...

"I went as hard as I could."