Tuesday September 29, 2015
10:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
“Be active off the ball. You can’t relax.” –SVG
- SVG with lots of emphasizes on the importance of having hands up on defense.
- Lots of work on technique.
“You got to want to get a stop!” –SVG
- Ersan Ilyasova draws two charges in scrimmage. Knocks down jump shots and plays hard.
- Assistant coach Brendan Malone stopped the action and shouted, “When you catch the ball, look at the rim.”
- SVG then said, “Catch the ball, look at the rim and look in the post.”
- Pistons coaching Andre Drummond up to run the floor hard and get to the rim.
Detroit Pistons Offensive Musts:
1-Take care of the ball
2-Push the pace
3-Attack from inside-out
5-Make quick decisions
6-Take good shots
- The “3” man takes it out on made free throws.
- Tons of teaching during scrimmage.
“Don’t be in such a hurry. Mistakes being made are because you go too fast.” -SVG
“Run hard, but don’t be in such a hurry.”
“Game tempo.” –SVG
- A joy to watch seven year vet Cartier Martin teaching and helping rookie Eric Griffin a few things on the defensive end of the floor.
- D-League coaches of the Grand Rapids Drive, Otis Smith and Dion Glover involved in practice learning Pistons philosophy.
Pistons Support Staff
Doug Ash, Tom Barasi, Robert Werdan, Al Walker, Jeff Nix, Art Luptowski.
- Pistons shooting coach Dave Hopla on sidelines throughout practice taking notes in a composition notebook. He stands by Andre Drummond during free throws.
- Interesting observation at end of practice. Three teams during scrimmage. Blue team wins, two other teams had to run sprints for losing. Marcus Morris, Reggie Jackson and Stanley Johnson, all on the winning team decide to run with the losers. (Extra work).
- SVG admitted to the team that they were putting a lot of stuff in:
“I know that was a lot…”