Saturday, November 14, 2009

WHY WE COMPETE

From the book, "Dick Vermeil: Whistle in His Mouth, Heart on His Sleeve" by Gordon Forbes comes profound thoughts from coaches and their need to compete:

It took Ted Marchibroda 31 years before he realized the reason for his love affair with the game. Marchibroda, who began his pro coaching career in 1961, had an epiphany during Mass soon after he was hired as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. I never realized myself until the priest finished his sermon,” said Marchibroda. “He said, ‘Your life is lost when you know the outcome.’ That’s why I love football so much. You never know the outcome.”

Jimmy Johnson, who won back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1990s with the Dallas Cowboys, still misses the weekly challenge. “I miss preparing the team for a big game, that’s what I miss,” said Johnson.

“When I first got into coaching, a veteran coach told me, ‘If you can do without this profession, do so. You and your family will be much happier.’ Obviously, I can’t do without it because I can’t imagine doing anything else professionally.” -
Brian Billick

“My wife has a question she’s asked me every year for 10 years,” Bill Parcells said. “And she always words it the same: ‘Explain to me why you must continue to do this, because the time you’re happy are so few.’ She has no concept.”