The following comes from John Maxwell's book "Everyone Communicates, But Few Connect." It is one of the best books on communication that I have read. Want to know if you are actually connecting with the individual or group that you are attempting to communicate with? Maxwell provides the following:
Connection Checklist, which includes the following questions:
• Integrity—Did I do my best?
• Expectation—Did I please my sponsor?
• Relevance—Did I understand and relate to the audience?
• Value—Did I add value to the people?
• Application—Did I give people a game plan?
• Change—Did I make a difference?