Five characteristics for a unifying vision statement from Jon Gordon's tremendous book "Soup."
1. It had to be a vision everyone could rally around.
2. It needed to capture the essence and spirit of the business and to be something the organization could share with words and reinforce through actions.
3. It needed to remind everyone what Soup, Inc., stood for and to serve as the North Star that kept everyone on track.
4. It needed to be easy to remember by leaders and employees so they could live and breathe it every day. It couldn’t exist only on a piece of paper in a filing cabinet. It needed to come alive in the hearts, minds, and actions of everyone at Soup, Inc.
5. It had to be clear, simple, energizing, and compelling.