Friday, November 23, 2012

TURNING A TEAM AROUND (PART II)

The following is an excerpt from an article in the Harvard Business Review in the winter of 2000. It was written by Bill Parcells and titled, "The Tough Work of Turning Around a Team."


The Power of Confrontation   If you want to get the most out of people, you have to apply pressure -- that's the only thing that any of us really responds to.  As a coach, I've always tried to turn up the heat under my people, to constantly push them to perform at a high level.   Creating pressure in an organization requires confrontation, and it can get very intense, very emotional.  I've seen coaches avoid confrontations with their players because they don't like conflict, and I assume the same thing is true of leaders of business teams. But I've actually come to relish confrontation, not because it makes me feel powerful but because it provides an opportunity to get things straight with people.  It's not until you look people right in the eye that you get to the source of their behavior and motivation.  Without confrontation, you're not going to change the way they think and act.   Confrontation does not mean putting someone down.  When you criticize members of the team, you need to put it in a positive context.  I've often said to a player, "I don't think you're performing up to your potential; you can do better."  But I also made it clear that my goals were his goals.  "It's in your best interest that you succeed, and it's my best interest that you succeed."