Thursday, January 8, 2009

THOUGHTS FROM WOODY HAYES

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good. That's just way it is. And if you believe that and live by it, you'd be surprised at how much fun you can have."

"Paralyze resistance with persistence."

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."
"The only meaningful statistic is number of games won."

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be civilization."

"A man is always better than he thinks."

"I don't live in the past. I'm a student of the past, and I try to learn from the past, although some people will say, 'You haven't done a very good job of it.' But for me to live in the past? Hell, no.'"

"Statistics always remind me of fellow who drowned in a river where the average depth was only three feet."

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

"The time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect."

"Success - it 's what you do with what you've got."

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside
their players heads and motivate them."