Monday, May 18, 2009

DEMANDING RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR FROM YOUR TEAM

Another must read book for coaches is "Reach for the Summit" by Pat Summit with Sally Jenkins. In the book, Coach Summit goes in great detail over the philosophy that has made her the winningest coach in college basketball. Here is a sample:

Two things must happen before I can demand responsible behavior from the team at large.

#1 I've got to demonstrate to them that I fulfill my own responsibilities. That means that I, too, am accountable. For instance, I'm not the most punctual human being. But the one thing I am never, every late to is a team meeting or a practice.

#2 I must make sure that the responsibilities of our players and staff are clearly delineated and that everyone understands them. That way, when there is a breakdown, we know what happened.

If you do not clearly articulate who is responsible for what, nothing will get done. We've all been in situations where the simplest task has done unperformed, Why? Because even thought Anybody could do it, Everybody thought Somebody Else would do it, and Nobody did it.

Organization is half the battle, Start with yourself, and your own desk.