Tuesday, May 12, 2009

PRIORITIES

Another "proud papa moment" as Sylvia Fowles returns to campus to graduate from LSU this Friday.



Her drive and determination on the court and off of it can be traced back to her mother’s guidance.

“My mom constantly stressed academics and she wasn’t really into sports,” she said. “I can remember a lot of times during my high school and college career where she didn’t care about the glamour and the fame of being an All-American and playing basketball. She wanted me to work hard.”

That hard work has allowed Fowles to become the first person in her family to graduate from college, fulfilling her mother’s lifelong dream.

“This is No. 1 at the top of my list because I am the youngest of my mother’s kids and I am the first to graduate,” she said. “It says a lot about how much my mother means to me and how she prepared me for this. I have a lot of nieces and nephews and they can look up to me and see if I can do it, they can too.”


Bill's story finishes with this which is music to any coaches' ear:

“When you go back and get your degree, it says a lot about your work ethic. I accomplished things that I will never forget here. If I had to do it all over again, LSU would be the only place I would do it.”