Sunday, May 17, 2009

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO DEAN (Part 2)

Barry Jacobs wrote a wonderful book titled, "Dean: Four Decades of Basketball as Seen by Dean Smith." It is complete with quotes from Coach Smith on a variety of quotes as well as quotes from those who played for him. It's a short book but one that gives insight as to why Coach Smith was one of the games greatest. Here is our second installment:

ON BEING A COACH

"I don't ever remember wanting to be anything but a coach."

"I was always interested in the Xs and Os, especially in football. I remember drawing up my first play, and my dad showing me why it wasn't good. It was a double wing play but I forgot to block somebody."

"Some of the most successful coaches aren't ever over .500. It's what you do with what you've got that counts. The ideal situation for a judging us all as coaches would be to eliminate recruiting. Have everybody get a team from their student body. Coaches remain constant. Players change."

"The coach gets too much attention, too much credit and too much blame."

"Overcoaching is the worst thing you can do to a player. I think every coach knows that."

"I've never been a patient man. I demand more of my players at this stage of the game than they're capable of giving."

"I don't think coaches are in it for the money. I know I never was, and I didn't make much when I started. For me, it is the personal relationships. That's what I enjoy most, getting involved with your players."