Today marks the 5th anniversary of Hoopthoughts. When I first started I was simply looking for a way to share a few ideas with other coaches and learn a little on the way as well. I had no idea that it would grow at the rate that it has with well over 1,000 visitors per day and nearly 1,400,000 total. I am so thankful for all the notes, email, texts and comments in regard to the blog and especially to all those who share info for me to use. Per our tradition, today I will repeat my first blog post of 2008 -- which comes from my friend Don Yaeger. It remains one of the most visited posts we have had -- and with good reason. It was itself a blog post for Don that grew into a best-selling book.
Well this is my first entry (and first attempt at blogging) so I thought I would go over 16 CONSISTENT CHARACTERISTICS OF GREATNESS. These come from writer Don Yaeger and I received them via email from Dale Brown.
HOW THEY THINK1. IT’S PERSONAL...they hate to lose more than the love to win.
2. RUBBING ELBOWS...they understand the value of association.
3. BELIEVE...they have faith in a higher power.
4. CONTAGIOUS ENTHUSIASM...they are positive thinkers...they are enthusiastic...and that enthusiasm rubs off.
HOW THEY PERPARE
5. HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT...they prepare for all possibilities before they step off the field.
6. WHAT OFF-SEASON?...they are always working towards the next game...the next season...the goal is what’s ahead and there is always something ahead.
7. VISUALIZE VICTORY...they see victory before the game begins.
8. INNER FIRE...they use adversity as fuel.
HOW THEY WORK
9. ICE IN THEIR VEINS...they are risk-takers and don’t fear making a mistake
10. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS...they know how and when to adjust their game plan.
11. ULTIMATE TEAMMATE...they will assume whatever role is necessary for the team to win.
12. NOT JUST ABOUT THE BENJAMINS...they don’t compete just for the money.
HOW THEY LIVE
13. THEY DO UNTO OTHERS...they know character is defined by how they treat those who cannot help them.
14. WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING...they are comfortable in the mirror...they live their life with integrity.
15. WHEVER EVERYONE IS WATCHING...they embrace the idea of being a role model.
16. RECORDS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN...they know their legacy isn’t what they did on the field...the are well-rounded.