I follow six clear-cut rules that represent the foundations of fairness, respect, and trust, rules that I believe have contributes to our two world championships:
1. I treat team players with honesty and trust and ask for the same in return.
2. I make an unstated agreement with team player: “Give me effort and I’ll never second guess you. I’ll always defend you.”
3. I apply team rules evenhandedly to all team members.
4. I never air grievances to others, including the media, before I privately air my grievance with a player.
5. I never humiliate or embarrass a team player in front of others.
6. I don’t play favorites. I offer no special favors to high-salaried starts or players I like, nor do I make a show of personal preferences.
From "Joe Torre's Ground Rules For Winners"
By Joe Torre with Henry Dreher