Just a sample from the book:
FIVE KEYS TO GREAT DEFENSE
Every defensive system is dependent upon making certain things happen on the court. Our system is no different. No matter what half-court or full-court defensive set we are in, our success is dependent upon our five keys to great defense.
1. Developing a defensive conscience: help and recover
2. Tremendous pressure on the ball: cover the ball
3. Stopping ball penetration: control and steer
4. make the next pass more difficult: force a player high and wide to get a pass
5. Quick ball-side and help-side help: butt to ball denial
This is a great book for the young coach looking for a way to build their defense but it is also a good book for the veteran coach that is looking for ways to refine how they defense. Chapter 8: Teaching Points and Defensive Evaluation is along worth the price of the book.
You can find all of Shane's books and DVDs at his website www.teamarete.com. You can also find them at www.basketballsense.com. While you are there I'd like for to check out the volume of books and DVDs by another friend of mine as well, Lason Perkins. Lason and Shane are very passionate about teaching and even more importantly -- sharing!