Saturday, September 5, 2009

CREATE YOUR OWN CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE

I've been fortunate to learn basketball from some outstanding people. My junior high coach Allen Osborne to this day is my greatest influence and remains a valuable member of my inner circle. I also worked for some really good high school coaches in Doug McElwain and Ron Chambers. On the the collegiate level it was Judy Southard, Dale Brown, and Sue Gunter that gave me valuable insight into areas including but far beyond X's & O's. I sought out others to mentor me -- none more valuable than Don Meyer. They have come from others sports like baseball in Cal Bailey and Skip Bertman. I'm now working with Van Chancellor who has a great pro background.

My point is that to be successful, in any profession, you must form your own circle of influence. People that have great knowledge and experience that will share with you to help you grow. I thought it ironic last night reading tweets from Eric Musselman. Here three different tweets on Bill Belichick:

@ericmusselman Belichick learned how 2 evaluate talent from his personnel guy in Cleveland, Mike Lombardi; learned the salary cap from NBA legend Jerry West.

@ericmusselman Coach Bill Belichick learned some of his management from reading Jack Welch & the GE Way.

@ericmusselman Belichick learned how to teach succinctly from then-Broncos DB coach Richie McCabe. Ted Marchibroda in Baltimore taught him to be flexible.

I know that Coach Belichick visited LSU when Nick Saban was here to talk defense in regard to what Coach Saban was teaching. After winning his first Superbowl, he spent time with Jimmy Johnson to talk about maintaining excellence after winning a championship.

Coach Belichick is the perfect example of working hard in developing relationships that will educate him and make him better at his craft.

“Whatever your ambitions, whatever the field you want to enter, if you want to play a game go to where it’s played. If you want to be a lawyer, go to law school. If you can’t get into the best law school, get into the best one you can. Same with medical or business school or whatever. If you want to get into TV, get yourself a job, any job in the business. The important thing is to get your seat at the table.”

-Chris Matthews
TV News Journalist, Host of Hardball