Friday, September 11, 2009

MONTANA PRINCIPLE #1: KNOW WHAT YOU WANT

The Winning Spirit: 16 Timeless Principles That Drive Performance Excellence
By Joe Montana and Tom Mitchell, Ph.D.

Principle #1: Know what you want

1. It’s been said that clarity is power. That’s true, but clarity put into action is ultimate power. It is impossible to strive for something until we know what it is we are pursuing. You have to know what you want.

2. Getting clear is mandatory. It offers direction and motivation and helps prioritize energy.

3. “More is seldom achieved without hard work. Having more or getting more, almost always requires giving more—of yourself.

4. Recently, after I delivered a speech, someone in the audience asked me how old I was when I won my first Super Bowl.

5. “Twelve years old, and I’ve won a thousand of them since.” All but four of them, I explained, took place in our backyard in my hometown of Monongahela, Pennsylvania, a few miles down the road from Pittsburgh.

6. Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge.

7. Clarity put into action is ultimate power.