Wednesday, July 1, 2009

BO KNOWS (#4)

BO KNOWS GOALS

As soon as I had finished my annual first meeting with all the players, the seniors would get up in front of the room, address the team, and then they would establish the gals for that season.

That's right! I didn't set any goals for the team! None! The seniors set the goals for the team -- because it's their team. And the funny thing is, they almost always set their goals higher than I would have. It's pretty damn hard for them to claim I set the bar too high for the team, when they're the ones who set it!

Once the seniors set up their main goals for that season, it was my job to tell them how we were going to achieve their goals. And that's why, in sports and in business, you keep score. I don't care what field you're in, there's always a score at the end of the day. It might not be fair, it might not be right, but when your day is done, there's going to be a number next to your name. That's just life. For us, the numbers we cared about weren't just total points, but first downs and rushing yards and passing yards and tackles and sacks and turnovers and penalties. You name it, we measured it, and we had goals for everything we measured, every game.