Friday, September 28, 2012

NICK SABAN ON BEING A RELENTLESS COMPETITOR

As those who follow my blog know, I am a big believer in the teaching methods of Nick Saban. First hand following during his tenure at LSU and learning about his thoughts on being "process oriented" has had a strong impact on my coaching experience. Coach Don Meyer would always speak at clinics and tell us that all coaches should study John Wooden. I think always coaches today should study Nick Saban. And, as Coach Meyer would be the first to point out, studying a coach doesn't mean we do everything that coach does. Look for those things that will apply to your program and your philosophy.

Here is a video that I came across that we show our team next week before our first day of practice. I think it is simply incredible. The greatest of coaches are the great of communicators. They can hold an audience with their words and their actions. They can paint word pictures to help the audience visualize. You can sense the passion in their voices. They can take the complicated and communicate simply. Coach Saban is such a coach -- a teacher.