Servant leadership is difficult because the leader is required to exemplify characteristics that are often rare:
1. The leader is willing to sacrifice self-interest for the good of the group.
2. The leader is willing to listen empathetically to understand followers.
3. The leader is a role-model -- exemplifies qualities that followers admire.
4. The leader is able to communicate and inspire others toward a shared vision.
5. The leader's actions are rooted in principles and values rather than external rewards.
6. The leader encourages growth, increased responsibility in followers.
7. The leader is dedicated to having his organization serve others and be a constructive force in society.
From "Beyond The Final Score" by Tom Osborne