In 2008, Pat Williams, the GM of the Orlando Magic and a tremendous motivational speaker put out a book, "The Ultimate Coaches' Clinic." It is a fascinating book because of the style Pat utilized. He surveyed over 1000 coaches and administrators for insights to what is important to successfully do their job. It is a great book to own and I highly recommend it. Here are some thoughts from one of my heroes -- Kay Yow.
• Your attitude is the key. Keep up your enthusiasm and optimism through the tough times.
• Never criticize your players publicly.
• Preparation and hard work are important.
• Deal with your players with love and truth. That is how you win their confidence.
• Help your players believe in themselves. Without confidence, people can’t perform.
• Nobody follows a leader with just words. They hear it, but they must see it too. Then you’re in business. The leader sets the tone. A leader is a role model.