Monday, January 14, 2013

ATTITUDE IN -- ATTITUDE OUT

Another from Jeffery Gitomer -- as I am reading his "The Little Book of Leadership."  It is an absolutely great read -- he does a great job or organizing his thoughts on the subject of leadership.  It's been an important book for me to read and I think it would make for a great book for your captains as well.

This comes from a section Gitomer titled "Attitude In. Attidue Out":

Attitude is at the core of success -- yours first!  If your a leader that's looking to succeed and leave a legacy of achievement and accolade, then you may want to start higher than your goals and aspirations to uncover the way to make those aspirations a reality.

When you wake up in the morning, how do you feel?

When you get to your place of work, how do you feel?

When you greet members of your team, what is your tone?

When you conduct a meeting, what is your tone?

Here are the attitude questions to ask yourself:

How are my people affected by my feelings and tones?


How do my feelings and expressions affect my team’s attitude?

How does my attitude impact their responses to me, to each other, and to outside people?

And finally, how does my attitude, my mood, and my tone affect their performances.

KEY POINT OF UNDERSTANDING: You set the tone for your people to follow. If they’re not happy, first look at yourself.