Sunday, January 13, 2013

MY ONE WORD: DISCIPLINE

About a week ago, I completed the book "One Word" by Jon Gordon, Dan Britton and Jimmy Page.  It's not a difficult read.  In fact, the book was written so that it's 71 pages can be read in 45 minutes or less.  But the message and process is powerful -- "One Word That Will Change Your Life."

The book takes you in detail thought three-step process to help you in your journey to discover your own personal word that will transform you.

Quickly the three steps are...

Prepare Your Heart -- This is where you take action to strategically disengage from the hectic pace of life and look inside.

Discover Your Word -- This step helps you ask simple questions to find your word.

Live Your Word -- This is the fun part.  We help you experience your word and apply it to every area of your life.

Reading the book has you thoroughly go through the process.  After reading the book they suggest you take some time to do some soul searching which I did.  And my word?

DISCIPLINE

I have let the grind of coaching serve as an excuse to get get away from the disciplines of my life that I need to be successful.  This would include my health (diet and exercise), my family, my personal growth and practically all facets of my life.

It sounds like a big word but it is really about me giving thought to the details and then executing them within my life. 

Another guideline of the book is to share your word with others.  It serves as a commitment when you tell others.  You also incorporate those close to you to serve as supporters of your mission.  I thought blogging about my word would be a great way to put it out there -- I need help keeping my "word" in front of me.  There are methods of doing this but you'd be better serve purchase the book for the detailed approach!