Wednesday, August 19, 2009

EXPECTING HARD MAKES IT EASIER

From my most recent Kevin Elko newsletter:

When I was working with the University of Miami football program, we played a National Championship game against the University of Nebraska. At the time we had a player who won the academic Heisman Trophy as offensive tackle, Joaquin Gonzalez. After I finished speaking to the team before the game, I threw a football to Joaquin and asked him to talk about what they needed to do to win. He said, "I expect this game against Nebraska to be a tough game and I expect the player across from me to be a great player. So I plan on bringing the best me every play, and I will refuse to take any plays off." That game was not very hard and I think it was because they listened to him and expected hard, which made it easy.