Thursday, April 9, 2009

TEACHING

Here are a few quotes on teaching. The first one from Henry Adams always reminds me of Allen Osborne, the boys basketball coach at Poca High School in West Virginia. Allen was my junior high coach who greatly affected my life (on the court and off) at that time. I later worked for him and he has continued to mentor me in coaching (and life). One of my goals in coaching is to try and influence people the way Allen did and still does his players.

"A teacher affect eternity; no one
can tell where his influence stops."
-Henry Adams-

"The mediocre teacher tells.
The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires."
-William Arthur Ward-

"Teaching is not a lost art,
but regard for it is a lost tradition."
-Jacques Barzun-

"A master can tell you what he
expects of you. A teacher, though,
awakens your own expectations."
-Patrica Neal-

"Teaching is the greatest act of optimism."
-Colleen Wilcox-