Wednesday, April 8, 2009

KNIGHT: COACH AND TEACHER

The following quotes come from a book by Monte Carpenter titled "Quotable General." These thoughts come from Chapter 3: Coach and Teacher.

"I'd rather be thought of as a teacher than a coach."

"A coach must remember that he is a teacher and therefore must prepare his team for every possible situation that may develop."

"Everyone remembers more when we write things down."

"What has been emphasized generally can be discussed specifically."

"The basketball classroom is one of the most demanding there is. Not only are there principles to be learned, but there's an immediate practical application of those theories."

"One of the essentials in teaching is to emphasize. How do you emphasize? Quietly? On occasion. By not saying anything? I thin you can. By really making a vocally emphatic point? Sure. You have to be a lot of different things."

"The best teachers I've know are intolerant people. They don't tolerate mistakes."

"I think every coach is ready to quit at some point every year."

"If you haven't coached, one of the most difficult things to understand is a coach's mentality."

"Coaching is a great balance between demand and patience. The coaches who are demanding -- constantly demanding -- are not particularly good coaches. The coaches who are extremely patient are not particularly good coaches. There's a balance between the two that I think is really important. Patience allows for development; demand brings about development at a rate that you have to have."

"I teach. I think of myself as a teacher."

"But the coach that really coaches and really teaches is the guy who goes out on a limb even though some kid isn't going to like him, or the team isn't going to like him, but he's out there doing that because it's the best way to get kids to play as well as they can."

"I concentrate on the way we could lose and what we can do about them."

"I try to win basketball games and as the same time prepare my players for the rest of their lives."