Thursday, August 18, 2011

30 DAYS TO A CHAMPIONSHIP: FACULTY, BOOSTERS, RADIO, FACILITIES, AND PRACTICE PLANS

Jim Boone: Yesterday was a wonderful day, especially in regard to the press conference and I will blog about that more later.  But we are to today!

This morning I am being introduced to our West Virginia Wesleyan faculty at their day long retreat.  I consider this not only an opportunity to share my vision but I consider it an honor as well.  West Virginia Wesleyan's faculty has a great national reputation and to be able to spend some time with them this early in my tenure means a lot.  Sure, I will get to speak today but I promise you I will be doing a great deal of listening as well.

Coming right out that meeting will be the perfect time to meet with our academic advisor.  It will give me a great opportunity to learn of the process for our players to have academic success.  Each university I have worked with has believed strongly in the importance of classroom success but all have a different means of doing it -- much like coaches all want to win but all have various philosophies.  It will also give me a chance to let him know how important it is for the success of our program that we are achievers in the classroom and to emphasize that he will have my full support.

Even my lunch break will give me the opportunity to grow our program as I will dine with two or the schools major supporters.  Once again I can speak to the type of program that I want to build but also listen and learn as to how they can assist us.

The early afternoon will begin with a radio interview on a local station.  For some coaches this might seem like a headache but I promise you I always enthusiastically  approach these as great opportunities to share our vision and grow our program.

Later I have a meeting with the Facilities Coordinator to schedule usage of the gym and this afternoon I will actually sit down and begin planning our preseason workouts.

On the collegiate level, this often sums up the life of a head coach.  There are meetings, meetings, meetings and then some basketball.  It's all part of a CEO type approach to running an organization.