Wednesday, August 17, 2011

30 DAYS TO A CHAMPIONSHIP: PREPARING FOR A PRESS CONFERENCE

Coach Jim Boone: As we move forward to building our championship foundation in our first 30 days, there are two keys that will be prevalent in each and every area.  The first one, we have spoke about already, and that is relationships.  The second, is equally important and very much related to the first, and that is communication.

Communication is a big part of coaching success.  We are constantly communicating to a variety of people including:

Players
Alumni
Recruits
High School and Junior College Coaches
Staff
Administrators
Faculty
Media
Fans
Boosters

Now for many, communication points to our ability to speak -- and make no mistake about it, your ability to voice a thought is critically important.  But probably the most important part of communication is your ability to listen.  Of course the ability to write is important as well.  I think this blog is serving a great purpose in terms of communicating to many what we are trying to build.  As a coach I spend a lot of time writing notes and emails to a variety of people within our circle of influence.

In his book "Everyone Communicates Few Connect," John Maxwell says we need to try and communicate the following:

• Thought: something we know

• Emotion: something we feel

• Action: something we do

Today, a major part of my communication will come in the form of my introductory press conference in which I will be officially introduced to the media, fans and community as the new head men's basketball coach at West Virginia Wesleyan. 

Some may think it is enjoyable to stand up on a stage and talk about something you love -- and it is.  Some may think is can be never-wrecking speaking in front of cameras and people you don't know -- and it is.  But primarily what it is -- at least from my viewpoint -- is a great opportunity!  While I have officially been on the job and working to improve Bobcats' basketball the past week, today will be an emotional one for me as I can take our message to the masses.

Because of the ability to communicate our message today, I have spent some time working on my thoughts and what I want to say.  After all, one of the meaningful parts of our success will be our ability to prepare.  Prepare goes beyond creating a game plan.  I want to prepare for everything I do -- I want people to see me and know that I prepared.  Preparation says you care about what you are involved in so you took the time necessary to make sure you were at your best.

And with that, I need to spend a little more time preparing...but stay tuned from some thoughts about the press conference later today.