Tuesday, August 9, 2011

COACH K ON COMMUNICATION

Of the many things I subscribe to, one that I enjoy greatly is a newsletter I receive in the mail from "Championship Performance."  Each issue has a tremendous wealth of knowledge from coaches of all sports and all levels.  The amazing thing about "Championship Performance" is that I haven't had an opportunity during my transition from LSU to UCF to contact them.  Yet today, there was my issue in the mail with my new UCF address -- they had tracked me down.  That's customer service!

Just a short passage from this issue comes from Coach Mike Krzyzewski in an article excerpted from the Wall Street Journal:

"I believe that my work is as much about words as basketball.  Choosing the right words to say to players is no less important than picking the starting line-up or court strategies.  My primary task is motivation.  how can I get a group motivated, not only to be their individual best, but able to become a better team.  I have always said that 'two are better than one, but only if two can act as one.'"

An example of Coach K putting something in words for motivation?  This from Derrick Rose:

"Coach would say to us, 'Are you telling me you wouldn't dive on the floor for ball for the whole USA?' When he put it that way, it mean a lot."