Friday, August 26, 2011

30 DAYS TO A CHAMPIONSHIP: THOUGHTS ON RECRUITING

Jim Boone: My first day on the job I made time to make some recruiting calls.  And I have done the same thing each and every day since.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of your program.  It is not an exact science but you have to be very detailed in your approach to try and make the absolute best decisions you can make for the overall benefit of your program and your institution.

Everything you do with your program should have an eye on recruiting.  Everything from how I decorate my office & our locker room, the stationary we design, the way we play offensively and defensively, the people we surround ourselves in our program with -- everything!

It is important, in my opinion to utilize every from of communication available to you within the NCAA's guidelines.  That's why I have been writing notes, typing emails and dialing phone calls.  I want to talk obviously to the student-athlete but also to members of his family as well as his coach.  It is important that they all get an opportunity to know me and my philosophy but it is critical that I get to know all of them.

In John Maxwell's book "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect" he made three points that I try to carry into every recruiting conversation:

Talk more about the other person and less about yourself. Prepare two or three questions you can ask someone before a meeting or social gathering.

 Give something of value, such as a helpful quote, story, book, or CD, to give to someone when you get together.

At the close of a conversation, ask if there is anything you can do to help them and then follow through. Acts of servanthood have a resounding impact that live longer than words.

When I do get the opportunity to speak -- specifically the first time I speak with a recruit -- here are some bullet points that I'm looking to hit:

1) Introduce myself and reasons for taking the WVWC position:
Opportunity to compete at a National Level
Campus that is second to none at the Div II Level
Academics rated in Princeton Review of Best Small Liberal Arts Colleges

2) What being a Bobcat means:
Earning a Degree First and Foremost
Winning on the Court
Having a Great Experience

3) Playing Basketball at WVWC
Have Too Guys
Hard Work Program
Competing!