Wednesday, August 8, 2012

STAFF MEETING GUIDELINES FROM COLIN POWELL

I encouraged all my subordinate commanders and staff to feel free to argue with me.  My guidance was simple: "Disagree with me, do it with feeling, try to convince me you are right and I am about to go down the wrong path.  You owe that to me; that's why you are here.  But don't be intimidated when I argue back.  A moment will come when I have heard enough and I make a decisions.  At the very instant, I expect all of you to execute my decision as it if were your idea.  Don't damn the decision with faint praise, don't mumble under breath -- we now all move out together to get the job done.  And don't argue with my anymore unless you have new information or I realize I goofed and come back to you.  Loyalty is disagreeing strongly, and loyalty is executing faithfully.  The decision is not about you or your ego; it is about gathering all the information, analyzing it, and trying to get the right answer.  I still love you, so get mad and get over it.

From "It Worked For Me" by Colin Powell