Monday, December 31, 2012

SUN TZU: THE ART OF PREPARATION

I'm sitting in the office on New Year's Eve and breaking down video of our first Southeastern Conference opponent with we will play this Monday.  I have always enjoyed watching video -- not just to study an opponent (or ourselves) but to learn something.  Of course, the preparation equation is first and foremost the reason we study hours of clips.  And it always reminds me of my favorite quote from "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu -- a book that is torn and tattered but always remains on my desk:

"If you know the enemy and know yourself,
you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. 
If you know yourself but not the enemy,
for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. 
If you know neither the enemy nor yourself,
you will succumb in every battle."