Saturday, February 2, 2013

ALLEN OSBORNE: A COACHING GYM RAT

Those that know me best, and even those who read my blog or follow me on twitter know that I often mention my junior high school coach Allen Osborne.  Not one has influenced my coaching career more or taught me more about the game of basketball than Allen.  To this day he is one of my closest friends and a key member of my circle of influence. 

Below is a short excerpt of an article by Nick Brockman of the Charleston Daily Mail.  I loved that Brockman on several occasions referred to Allen as a "gym rat."  As he mentions, that is usually reserved for players.  But the most dedicated coaches are gym rats as well -- none more than Allen.  My question for you coaches out there -- would you be considered a "gym rat?"

POCA, W.Va. -- The title "gym rat" typically refers to a scrappy player dedicated to the weight room or the quest to continual improvement, though at Poca, it belongs to the man at the top of the boys basketball program.

After 40 years of teaching and more than 25 years as athletic director, Coach Allen Osborne dedicates himself solely to basketball in his 35th season leading the Dots.

"I've retired from teaching and athletic director and now just coaching basketball," Osborne said. "It's good, I get more time to watch film and relax a little bit more, do more scouting. It's all basketball now, so it's pretty good."

Osborne retired from his teaching and athletic director positions at the end of the 2011-12 school year. Without the day-to-day rigors and challenges of his former positions, Osborne's newfound free time presents opportunities for the players.

"He's here every day," junior forward Jake Payne said.

Below the Poca gymnasium in his basement office, Osborne studies opponents and strategizes awaiting the next game.

"He's down in his office every day during school," Payne said. "You can come down and he'll talk to you, let you watch film during lunch. It's better now because he doesn't have class, so he's down here all the time."

Read the entire article here