Monday, December 29, 2008

VISIONARY LEADERSHIP

Former President Gerald Ford discusses six fundamentals of leadership:

Respect Differing Opinions
Among the principles that a leader can never compromise is respect for others whose principles differ from their own. I questioned their ideas, not their motives, and never their patriotism. I had opponents, but not enemies. Good leaders are pragmatists. They want to make things work. They want to do the decent thing for others.

Keep Good People
I was often accused of surrounding myself with people who were smarter than me. In truth, the ability to interest high-caliber individuals in your cause and get them to come on board is the mark of a true leader. Keeping them is good management.

Work For the Future
No good leader approves short-term benefits if they undermine long-range purposes.

Speak and Act With Conviction
A leader is one who can stand before an antagonistic audience and speak with conviction, strength, and persuasion.

Improve Conditions for Others
I believe successful leaders are compassionate human beings by the very nature of what they do. They try to improve conditions for others. When making difficult decisions, I often ask myself, “Have I attempted revenge or extended forgiveness?”

Accept the Consequences of Your Actions
A leader takes his wins and losses with equal grace. No passing the buck.