Wednesday, August 12, 2009

TO BE A GREAT LEADER, STUDY GREAT LEADERS

The following comes from "Bo's Lasting Lessons," By Bo Schembechler and John U. Bacon. It's a great passage about how even the greatest of coaches start the bottom doing the simpliest of duties. Coach Don Meyer speaks of "sucking scum" as a young coach and taught us all that John Wooden use to sweep his own floors. In this passage you not only see what Bo did early on, but more importantly, the attitude in which he used to perform these tasks. At an early age in his professional career, Bo got it. A great study for assistant coaches as to how to become better at their craft and properly move up the ladder:

If you want to become a great leader, you need to prepare yourself to become a great leader, and the best way to do that is to study great leaders.

When Woody Hayes left Miami of Ohio in 1951, right after my senior year, to take the head coaching position at Ohio State, I didn’t have to think too long to accept his offer to go with him. This was the first of my two stints with Woody, which formed the bookends of my twelve years as an assistant coach.

But back then, there was no such thing as a graduate assistant, so he got me a job down at the tax department in Columbus, where I handed out the stamps that served as sales tax rebates for church groups, charities and other non profits. I got paid $100 a month. I wasn’t paid a cent to coach.

When the coaches needed coffee, I got the coffee. When they needed someone to get their laundry, I got it. When they had to pick up recruits at the airport, I picked them up/ I did all their grunt work, and I did it without complaining.

What did I get in return? I learned how to recruit, I learned how to run a practice, I learned everything I could, from top to bottom, from one of the greatest coaches who ever lived. I even learned a thing or two about alumni relations.

But what I learned from Woody was this: He was the greatest teacher and the hardest worker I have ever seen in my entire life, to this day.

Woody was not innovative. He didn’t waste any plays trying to fool you. That was not his game. No, his strategy was to teach his team fundamental techniques better than anyone else, and win game after game through simple, mistake-free football.

What did I do with all this knowledge I acquired from Doyt and Ara and Woody?

I didn’t use it to sell myself, that’s for sure. I used it to become the best assistant coach I could be. I had no qualms about being an assistant coach, and I thought I was the best offensive line coach there ever was!

I have never applied for a job in my entire life.