Tuesday, September 8, 2009

THE FLAMES OF PASSION START YOUNG

"One of the big stories that circulated in my family is that when my mom brought me home from the hospital my dad had a ball and glove in my crib.

I can remember the day Roberto Clemente died (Schilling was 6) was about the only time I ever saw my father cry. I can remember Omar Moreno catching the last out of the 1979 World Series (when the Pirates beat the Oriole's), and sticking my hand in the ceiling fan when I was jumping up and down.

A lot of things in the way I approach the game were things that my dad taught me when I was very young. I was 11 years old watching the Cubs on WGN and my dad was talking about leadoff walks and first-pitch strikes, which was fun. When you're 14 years old, usually the last thing you want to do is talk about infield defense and guys being pitched a certain way. We talked about all that stuff."

Curt Schilling
From, "Passion for Sports" by the Sporting News