Wednesday, April 14, 2010

LOU HOLTZ MOTIVATING A FORMER PLAYER

The following comes from my Championship Performance newsletter:

One of Lou Holtz star players at Notre Dame was Jerome Bennis. One day, Holtz was watching an NFL game on television where Bettis was giving a very sub-part performance.

To push his motivational buttons, Holtz called Bettis and left him a mssage that said:

"Jerome, I would like you to know there is some idiot wearing a jersey with your name and number on it. The pretense is damaging your reputation. This guy is not picking up linebackers on blocks, is not running very hard and is not competing with enthusiasm. So I know that it can't be you. you never played liked that when you were on my team at Notre Dame. I just thought I ought to let you know this idiot is doing this. See if you can't put a stop to it because he's giving you a bad name."