Thursday, April 22, 2010

THE ULTIMATE COACHES CLINIC: LARRY BROWN

In 2008, Pat Williams, the GM of the Orlando Magic and a tremendous motivational speaker put out a book, "The Ultimate Coaches' Clinic." It is a fascinating book because of the style Pat utilized. He surveyed over 1000 coaches and administrators for insights to what is important to successfully do their job. From time to time I will share a few but it is a great book to own and I highly recommend it. Here are some thoughts from Larry Brown:

Know the difference between coaching and criticism. That is the only way to develop trust with your players.

Believe strongly in what you think is right and then be relentless about it. Never let them slack off.

If you ask a player to do something, you’d better make sure he is capable of doing it.
................
Bobby Jones used to tell me, “Coach, you always think I’m better than I am.” I hate to lower the bar. Set standards that are high and hold to them.

Don’t focus on what guys can’t do. Focus on what they can do. Don’t be negative.