Wednesday, November 2, 2011

JON GORDON: TRAITS OF THE BEST

Big thanks to J.P. Clark for passing the following on to us from Jon Gordon:

I had the opportunity this past week to speak to the Atlanta Falcons football team. As I prepared for these talks I thought a lot about what I should say that would benefit them.  After all, I would be talking to people who have reached the pinnacle of their industry.  What could I say that they haven't heard before? I realized that there was nothing new I could say.

They have heard it all. We all have. But what I could do was say it in a way that would inspire them towards positive action. My job was to help the best of the best get even better. This inspired a series of thoughts about what makes someone great in their field of work. I realized the best of the best, whether you are a sales person, teacher, athlete, nurse, entrepreneur, etc, share a number of similar characteristics. Here are three. I hope they inspire you to be your best.

1. The best are always striving to get better.
When I was speaking in Dallas in June, Zig Ziglar was in the front row and to my surprise he was taking notes. Wow, I thought. Here was one of my heroes, eighty years old, and he's still learning and growing. Any speaker could have been up there and Zig would have had his note pad and pen ready. How about you? Are you striving to get better? Are you a life long learner?

2. The best do ordinary things better than everyone else. (Chuck Noll).
There really isn't anything new when it comes to success principles. It's not about doing anything different. It’s about closing the gap that is bigger than the Grand Canyon-the gap between knowing and doing. The best take action. They execute and excel in the small things that create big results. They know that to be the best you must do a hundred simple things 10% better than everyone else.

3. The best stay positive.
Every individual and team faces negativity and challenges but the best rebound with positive energy, resilience, hope and faith. The best stay positive and don't let adversities and obstacles sabotage their individual and team success. The best don't let naysayers and energy vampires keep them from their goal. The best teams get on the bus together, stay positive and move forward with a shared vision,focus and direction.