Tuesday, February 21, 2012

COACH K ON GOAL SETTING AT DUKE

Mike Krzyzewski on goal setting at Duke:

"I’ve never set goals of wins and losses. After we went to a couple of Final Fours, I’ve always talked to my players about the possibility of a winning national championship. The reason I don’t do the wins and losses is we approach every game like we can win. If I set 20 wins and getting to the second round of the NCAAs or something like that, my feeling is that once you attain those goals, you might have a certain sense of satisfaction that would stop you from attaining a higher goal...on the other hand, you might have injuries that occur or different things that might happen, and a team that could have won 24 games maybe won 17, but that’s the best that that team could have gotten. I guess that what I’m trying to say is, I would rather define success for my team than to have a goal or other people define it for us."

From "Why We Win" by Billy Packer


No comments: