Friday, May 27, 2011

THE BRICKLAYERS

The following is a story told by George Allen in his book “Strategies For Winning.”

There is a story told about three bricklayers that describes, in a classic way, the importance of the attitude one brings to a job. When asked what he was doing, the first mason replied, “I’m laying brick.”

To the same question, the second answered, “I’m making $6.60 an hour.”

The third bricklayer answered, “Me? Why, I’m building the world’s greatest building!”

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO OUR TEAM?

Let’s imagine the story a little differently.

A sportswriter attends a basketball practice and asks a player, “what are you doing?” When asked, the first player said, “Shooting the basketball.”

To the same question, the second player answered, “I’m trying to make some shots before the drill is over.”

The third basketball player answered, “Me? I’m developing the habits necessary to help my team win a national championship!”

HOW ELSE CAN THIS APPLY TO OUR TEAM?

Here's yet another angle.

A fan attends a morning workout and asks a player, “what are you doing?” When asked, the first player said, “Running a suicide.”

To the same question, the second player answered, “I’m trying to make my suicide under time.”

The third basketball player answered, “Me? I’m developing my conditioning level to help my team win a national championship!”