Wednesday, June 8, 2016

BUZZ WILLIAMS CLINIC NOTES

A big thanks to Coach Jessie Ivy for forwarding me some clinic notes taken at the Impact and Legacy Summit.  One of the sets in of notes include these from Buzz Williams of Virginia Tech.

What is the intent of your heart?
The intent of my heart is that I say one thing that impacts the world you live in.

One of the 3 worst things players can say: “I got this.”
Compared to the spelling bee video - https://youtu.be/InpMZ4DNi0M

Just like this kid, when players say, “I got this,” it means I know it, I don’t have to ask you anything or listen to you. At the Spelling Bee a speller is given two minutes and thirty seconds from when a word is first pronounced, to spell a word in its entirety. The first two minutes are known as "Regular Time", the final thirty seconds is known as "Finish Time". During this time limit, a speller is allowed to ask the pronouncer for the following information
1. The definition of the word
2. The word's part of speech
3. The word's usage in a sentence
4. The word's language(s) of origin (not the complete etymology, even though some spellers refer to the language(s) of origin as the etymology)
5. Alternate pronunciations of the word
6. Alternate definitions of the word
7. Whether or not the word contains a specified root; this may
only be asked providing the speller can state the root in
question, the root's language of origin, and the root's definition.

As a Coach, I want those kids. I do not want “I got this,” kids.

3 Foundations:
1. NAA= Never Assume Anything
2. Everything Matters
3. Words We Use

Leadership= Influence
Culture = Habits/Practices
The language of your leadership is your influence.
Your language with your team needs to be one voice. Everyone needs to use the same language/words.