Monday, October 27, 2008

MAJERUS ON RECRUITING

"The most important thing I do is go to a kid’s school. As I walk around the school, I’ll stop a student and ask where the coach’s office is located. Then I’ll ask the student about the kid I’m recruiting. I’ll ask if he’s a nice guy, that sort of thing. Those students usually tell you the truth about a kid. And those answers are as important to me as anything else I do."

"I pick up on little things. I watch how a kid responds to his parents. I watch how a kid deals with his high school coach. I watch how they are during timeouts. I try to get to practice early and watch them. I don’t like guys looking over at me when I’m watching them...I don’t want them to be more worried about me than basketball."

"If someone asked me for recruiting advice, I’d tell them they have to know their market and know their school. You don’t want to waste time. The worst thing you can do in recruiting is come in second. You’ve got to know when to cut your losses."

"You have to determine how a player will fit into your system. The most pivotal spot is point guard. The next spot is the four spot, the power forward. That’s the spot I pay the most attention to because I like to play the middle less congested. I want my four-man to be able to go on the floor, shoot, and stretch the defense."

"I don’t know if I’m a good recruiter. I know I’m a hard worker. I’m diligent. I spend a lot of time on the road. I’m a good evaluator. But your proficiency comes through repetition. I always say, 'You’ve got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.'"


From "My Life On A Napkin"
By Rick Majerus with
Gene Wojciechowski