Thursday, November 20, 2008

BIRD ON VIDEO

That’s the one thing my staff agrees on: how valuable the (video) tape can be as a learning tool. Most people don’t know this, but when I was a player I used to go home after a game and watch it all over again on tape. It wasn’t so much to watch myself. What I’d do is zero in on plays where I had the ball, and see where my teammates were positioned. That way I could tell if I could have made a better play, or if there was someone who was open that I hadn’t noticed on the floor. It also helped me make sure my teammates were going to the proper spots on the court. You can’t believe how many times I’d be sitting home replaying a game I had just played, and I’d watch myself come off a pick, and I’d see Danny Ainge, wide open in the corner, and I’d say to myself, “Geez, how did I miss him?” Then I’d go in the next day and say to Danny, “Hey, you were wide open on that play last night in the third quarter. My fault."

-Larry Bird-