Thursday, May 28, 2009

DON MEYER'S 19TH COACHING ACADEMY

As May prepares to run into June, I am excited about first trip to the state of South Dakota. I will be attending Coach Don Meyer's annual Coaching Academy. It will be the 19th such academy for Coach Meyer and his staff and it will be my 8th. I have attended seven previously while Coach was at Lipscomb in Nashville. It will also be my first opportunity to hear Jerry Krause speak in person as he is the Academy's guest speaker this year.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it, nothing has been better for my improvement in the coaching profession than Coach Meyer. Between his DVD's, books, clinics and the Academy, I have been able to improve at my craft, and, most importantly, improve my team and program. The Academy is an exciting time of the year because I know I'm going to learn something that I can bring back and add to our program at LSU. I know I will discover some things to help us improve what we are already doing at LSU. I will get to spend some time with some coaches who genuinely care about the game. And I will get to spend some time with Coach Meyer who has been a mentor and friend of mine for many years.

If you every been to a Coach Meyer Academy than you already know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, it is a must for your coaching career. Don't think, "I've heard Coach Meyer at a clinic, so the Academy is probably similar." It is not. His team is there to go through everything he talks about. There is not an area of basketball that is not discussed in detail. And Coach always takes the time to talk to us about areas outside of coaching that make us better people as well.

Hope to see you there!

For more information on the Academy, hit this link: