Saturday, May 2, 2009

WINNER'S MENTALITY

From the Boston Globe following Boston's game 6 loss to Chicago:

Fifty-one points in 59 minutes. A playoff franchise-record nine 3-pointers. The euphoria of being unstoppable in a sold-out building on the road.

Those were supposed to be highlights Ray Allen would remember after one of the greatest performances of his illustrious career.

But instead of reminiscing about his hot hand, Allen was mad at himself for not being able to get 2 more points that could have led the Celtics to victory instead of a stunning, 128-127 triple-overtime loss to the Bulls in Game 6 at the United Center last night.

Allen and the Celtics are now dealt a do-or-die Game 7 tomorrow at TD Banknorth Garden.

"As an individual I do everything I can to be ready for whatever play comes my way or whatever I can do to help this team win," Allen said. "The ball stopped moving. The bigs started setting screens. And the shots were there. When I was sitting in the shower I was thinking about all the plays that I missed, all the shots that I missed that didn't end up falling.

"When you're on the losing end, you just think about all the great opportunities we had to win, all the bad plays that we made. It was reminiscent of games in this series past where we couldn't close it out."

Read entire article:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/05/01/incredibly_allen_felt_he_came_up_just_short/