Wednesday, May 13, 2009

ULTIMATE COACHES' CLINIC: LES MILES AND CHARLIE McCLENDON

In 2008, Pat Williams, the GM of the Orlando Magic and a tremendous motivational speaker put out a book, "The Ultimate Coaches' Clinic." It is a fascinating book because of the style Pat utilized. He surveyed over 1000 coaches and administrators for insights to what is important to successfully do their job. From time to time I will share a few but it is a great book to own and I highly recommend it. Today, a few thoughts about being successful from two of my favorite college football coach -- Les Miles and Charlie McClendon.

COACH LES MILES:
#1 Identify who you are and what's important to you. What is the central theme for you and your organization? And how are you going to reach your objectives.

#2 Identify your leaders and focus on them. Communicate with them, and by growing your leaders you enable them to influence the rest of the team.

#3 Develop good habits for the team. That comes from daily rituals and doing things the same on a day-today basis.

COACH CHARLIE McCLENDON
One thing that I would do is spend more time with my players. I have been around them several times since and they excuse me, but I won't accept that because I should have spent a lot more time with them. They say, "Coach, you had your hands full." I say, "Year, but I should have spent more time with you." You know what that good boy is going to do for you? He is going to go back and tell his mother and daddy, go back into his community, and say, "Coach McClendon called me into his office today." It may not be but two or three minutes, but spend that time with them because it's special.

As far as handling players, I don't think it was all that bad. I was truthful with them. I didn't BS them. This is the way it is. Some of my players said that I wasn't the greatest motivator. But I believe in facts and the truth, and I told my players that I didn't care what they said to the media as long as they told them the truth.