Monday, July 20, 2009

COACHING IN LATE GAME SITUATIONS

“It is my philosophy, opinion, and method of coaching to try to develop a style of play and an approach that will keep our team in games, but I believe the kids win the games. I prefer to stay out of the way down the stretch and not over-complicate it. People often ask me what I do in those situations in which we have won close games. The reality is that I do very little. There are no special words or formulas. Most of my work is done by the time the game starts. As I have told the team on many occasions, there is not really much I can do to help them if they can’t get the job done at that point. If we have done a good job in practice and prepared well, the players will believe they can win. Then in the game all they have to do is commit themselves to player great defense and to staying in the the game, and something good will eventually happen.”

-Dick Bennett-
From “A Season with Coach Dick Bennett”
By Eric Ferris